What insurance do I need to WWOOF in the USA?

May 29, 2023

Accident Insurance

In the USA, WWOOFers are automatically enrolled in WWOOF-USA’s Accident Insurance Policy, which covers WWOOFers for most accidents that could occur while WWOOFing at an American host farm.

Travel Insurance

Please note, the Accident policy does not include insurance for illness or other medical issues. We encourage all USA participants to purchase travel medical insurance in case of illness or other unexpected travel issues. 

We partner with and recommend Volunteer Card. Please note that Volunteer Card is a travel insurance policy and only is valid if purchased prior to your departure date and travel is at least 100 miles away from home.

Hosts may ask to see proof of medical or travel insurance when WWOOFers arrive, if desired. Additionally, most hosts have some types of coverage in their homeowner’s policy, however we are not experts on insurance, so we can’t give you advice. When you sign up for WWOOF-USA®, you assume responsibility for any risks.

If you are a WWOOFer injured while WWOOFing at an American host farm, please contact WWOOF-USA for assistance in submitting a claim. WWOOFers will need to pay for medical treatment and then submit receipts to the Accident Insurance Policy provider for reimbursement.

‘What is WWOOF?’ Webinar on October 18

‘What is WWOOF?’ Webinar on October 18

Thinking of WWOOFing this fall or winter? Not sure quite where to start or how to find the right farm for you? We're here to help! 😎 You’re invited to join us to learn all about the ins and outs of WWOOFing and everything you need to know to get started. Leave...

Episode 12 – Heidi Eijgel

Episode 12 – Heidi Eijgel

In this episode, Rodrigo meets Heidi Eijgel, a long term WWOOF Host in Canada. Heidi will tell us about how is to raise horses and receive WWOOFer in challenging weather conditions.